Monday 25 January 2010

Less is more



Suddenly I woke up! An article suggestion and here I am ... 2 days after with words dancing in my mind and images flashing inside me...

Realization: Words are powerful; in the right order become devine.

Reading the article "Very Short Stories" from "Wired" magazine, issue 14.11 (November 2006) http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/sixwords.html , I first read Hemingway's shortest story.

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

In just 6 words Hemingway managed to deliever such a powerfull story.
6 words so dominant and so tragic.

A friend said: "Well, sometimes what we miss out is the most important."
And yes, in this article of Wired i found a proof that what we miss out could triger others' imagination in such way that becomes the most important element of a narrative. Several writers were asked to follow Heminway's example and write short stories with six words. The result for me is absolutly inspiring.

Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so.
Joss Whedon

Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
Margaret Atwood

Wasted day. Wasted life. Dessert, please.
Steven Meretzk

Tick tock tick tock tick tick.
Neal Stephenson

Thought I was right. I wasn't.
Graeme Gibson

Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
Steven Meretzky

These are a few of the 59 very short stories of Wired's article.

The first one actually became my inspiration for the illustration above and eventually for a creative full day.

I am pleased...


P.S. I need to thank a few.
Phlegyas for suggesting the article
Wundercloud for the creative day
Cris Day for the nice comment

related post: TIME MACHINE REACHES FUTURE!!! … nobody there …

5 comments:

Φλεγύας said...

Hey you.

That's an inspired day well invested. I have to say that the larger version of your pic gives more credit to your work (the smaller version totally misses out).

Btw, I hadn't noticed one of the stories on that page.

"Tick tock tick tock tick tick."
I've no clue who Neal Stephenson is/was but this little ticking sentence is the absolute misery of living. Nothing more than a series of ticks and tocks. Damnit. It's all in vain...

hehe. Phlegyas does it again. Sorry about that. umm also, no clue why I'm doing this in English. Never mind I'm way too bored to rewrite in Greek. LMAO!

Stay creative girl.
Talk to you soon!

Illhm said...

"You fell asleep. I woke up."

hope it helps a bit!

Anonymous said...

I wished to thank you for this nice read!! I undoubtedly having fun with every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you publish

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

druantia said...

@ both anonymus: Thanx for the nice comments! For the last few months i have been busy with work and unfortunatelly i didn't have the time to post. for anyone interested can read my articles through my site as well. www.druantiadesign.com @ the eye candy section. I hope i get the chance soon for some spare time so i post more things! Cheers everyone!